RE: [CQ-Contest] ARRL v. contesters

To: asciibaron@comcast.net, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [CQ-Contest] ARRL v. contesters
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 07:20:34 -0600

i am 32 and have been a ham for 1.5 years. i know nothing of the old days. i am the future of contesting - why am i into ham radio and contesting? it's the thrill of the hunt and knowing that it is all my own doing. if i can't get the mult in VY2, it's because i didn't do enough to find it.

Steve--

Nice bit of perspective -- thanks for the insights. Upon reflection it seems that
CONTESTING may be the ONE area that would MOST appeal to a younger
generation that has been raised on video games. Especially CW, where both
the pace and dexterity play a big role in success, much like that of a video
game.

Contesting may need to become the featured aspect of ham radio to encourage
the youth of today to get a license. What is considered to be a scourge on the
bands by many non-contesters might hold the key to the survival of the hobby.

The best game-players seem to be the ones that start out early to develop the
skills needed, much like the best CW contesters, who, in most cases, seem to
have gotten into CW and contesting in their younger years -- early teens or even
pre-teens.

"Selling" ham radio to the young may work best if the fun aspect of contesting
is featured prominently rather than just the educational aspect of the technology.
My pre-license days were in pursuit of the FUN part of building things, rather than
in any desire to TALK to people. And I was fortunate to have K0VBU as my
high-school buddy. Although I was licensed first (K0UTX) it was Bill who got me into
contesting when we (and others) did a Multi/Single in the 1959 CW Sweepstakes
at my house as crystal-controlled NOVICES.

73--John W0UN