[CQ-Contest] Contesting tips and tricks - not

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting tips and tricks - not
From: "Scott R." <w4pa@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 06:46:39 -0800 (PST)
AH3C:
>It's Sunday morning and 20M is wide open.  The band is wall-to-wall
>with big signals calling CQ and making occasional Q's.  Their rate has
>dropped below 60/hr and the majority are Single Op.  Many are SO2R.
>As you pause to listen to a station you haven't worked, don't call
>until you hear that sudden stop in the middle of the CQ.  Now, this is
>your opportunity to make 2 Q's in the next minute.  Call CQ.  If
>you're lucky someone will come back to you before the big gun
>returns.  He will hear you in the middle of a qso and realize he
>hasn't worked you before.  He will likely wait for you to complete
>your Q and then call you for another S&P Q himself.  He now has just
>made 2 Q's, you have made 2 Q's, and if he is a true gentleman, he
>will look for another frequency to turn on his CQ machine again.

The view from the other side:

#1.  Hearing a stopped CQ is not an invitation to try to steal time on
a run frequency.  You have no idea what could be going on - by Sunday
morning I am so tired I can barely remember to press F1.  It would be
easy to press F1 then ESC or kick the footswitch - voila, stopped CQ.

#2.  The instant I hear you CQ on my frequency, I am stopping whatever
is going on via the second radio and reasserting that the frequency is
mine, and in use, and you need to move, by pressing F1 to CQ on my run
freq.  If I am working someone on the second radio, I will stop in
mid-QSO to chase you off my run freq and then repeat my report to the
station I was working on the other band.

#3.  I am not going to S&P anyone who has tried to poach my run
frequency, while they are still on my run frequency, even if I have not
QSOed them in this contest.  This is a hard and fast rule, SO2R or not.
 If I do that, it indicates to the CQer that I acknowledge the station
who is stealing my run frequency has a legitimate right to it.  If they
want to call me, fine, otherwise - move it, bub.

Scott W4PA