Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Just when you think

To: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Just when you think
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:50:24 +0500
Bob,
Thanks for real life story to support  ".. penalize both sides of the
QSO.."  approach.
Although I agree, there is incentive for deliberate distortion of
one's call sign when working competitor I do not believe somebody
dare to use such a dirty trick in practice. It will become pretty
obvious after several contests or even after just one contest. Every
serious competitor nowadays got used to analyzing UBN after the
contest.

73, Igor UA9CDC

<cq-contest@contesting.com>
> Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 6:17 AM
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Just when you think
>

> > >What I can't understand is why rules in some contests only
penalise
> > the receiver for a badly copied call and not the sender.  It
seems
> > >to me that if an appropriate exchange doesn't take place then
> > neither should there be a valid qso for either party.  If all
> > contests >supported a scheme in which both stations had to
correctly
> > log calls and other exchange requirements for either to be
awarded
> > points >the emphasis on ID might be improved. (at least in
contests)

> > >Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F
> >
> > This is an interesting subject. What Bob said about penalizing
both
> > sides of QSO does make sense. There are two schools of thoughts.
One
> > is the CQWW and WPX where receiving side takes all the penalties.
> > was supporting this approach assuming that nowadays senders
(well,
> > most of them) use computers for perfect sending and therefore all
the
> > mistakes are on the receiving side.
> > Another school of thought is widely used here in Russia for most
of
> > the contests (Russian DX contest excluded). It states that QSO is
> > two way road and if something is wrong in one of the logs, then
> > correct exchange did not take place and both parties should be
> > penalized. The latter approach, although it sounds true, does not
> > take into account the fact that the motivation to be awarded
points
> > for QSO could be different with different parties. If I am just
> > casual participant I do not care much about points an penalties.
> > Sometimes these participants do not send in log at all and
therefore
> > all contacts with them should not be counted. Russian DX contest
> > sponsors tried to partly compensate for that by creating "virtual
> > logs" for such a participants and analyzing the probability of
QSO