Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Just when you think

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Just when you think
From: "Bob Henderson" <bob@cytanet.com.cy>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 11:36:55 -0000
Igor

I guess one event probably influenced me most in my thinking about penalties
for badly copied calls.  I won't name the individual concerned as my
thoughts relate more to principle than personality but:

While S&P in a recent major event, I called a very well known contest
station.  Although he was very strong with me and I suspect I was with him,
it took three calls, in between which he called CQ, before I got a response.
When it came, the response was "Worked before".  I replied with "Not in log"
and the station responded with  "You copied my call wrong".  I imediately
knew which contact he was referring to, as I had only logged one other
contact with his entity on that band.  So I said, "You didnt correct your
call".  He replied, "No, I get multiplier, you get penalty....Hi!".

This incident really showed up a weakness of a scheme which only penalises
the operator who incorrectly logs the call (or logs an incorrect call).  It
could be argued that such a scheme might provide incentive for the
unscrupulous to fudge their own call when making exchanges with those who
might constiute serious competition.

Perish the thought, someone would actually do such a thing!

Bob, 5B4AGN, P3F