Re: [CQ-Contest] IC-746PRO -- evil incarnate or not?

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>,"Bill Coleman" <aa4lr@arrl.net>, "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IC-746PRO -- evil incarnate or not?
From: "Igor Sokolov" <ua9cdc@r66.ru>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:25:01 +0500
Indeed 746PRO has serious quality problems. My brother sent it back
for service already twice within the firs year of use. Now the radio
needs to be sent for service yet again. Almost everybody who has got
one ran into these quality problems.
I want to argue that 870 is better then 850. 870 relies entirely upon
DSP as far as filtering is concerned. As a result its close up
dynamic range makes 870 useless for contesting. Here I have 3 active
HP contesters within less then one kilometer distance. It was
absolutely impossible to operate contests here with 870 while I have
almost no problems with IC765.

73, Igor UA9CDC