Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?

To: Gerry Hull <gerry@w1ve.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 18:25:02 -0700
I hope all the stations I worked in various contests didn't get dinged
when I was signing DU1/K6ACZ while in the Philippines!
I can't get a DU call unless I have a permanent residents visa card so
must sign portable.

Gerry Hull wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> You said:
> "Of 15423 raw W & VE calls, 17 are Ws in VE or vice versa.  Of the
> 7 VEs in W, all calls are correct.  Of the 10 Ws in VE, half of the calls
> are incorrect (must be call/VE#, not VE#/call)."
>
> Well, actually, it's perfectly valid to sign, for example, VE1/W1VE or
> W1VE/VE1 (Not for me, since I hold a Canadian license also.)
> The W1VE/VE1 is the generally accepted method and arrangement between the US
> and Canada.  The VE1/W1VE form is the CEPT method.
> The US still prefers VE1RM/W1, for example.   However, I bet the FCC would
> not have a hissy if someone signed  the form W1/VE1RM (I might!).
> In fact, I've heard lots of Canadians on the air from the US using the CEPT
> form.
>
> Therefore, these are all valid callsigns, and the contest software is smart
> enough to know what country the station is actually in.
>
> 73,
>
> Gerry, W1VE, VE1RM, VY2CDX, VE9XDX, VO1WIN
>

>>From the rac website, http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm
> "There is no need for paperwork or other formalities when exchanging visits
> between Canada and the United States. Under the terms of the agreement, the
> visitor should give his or her call sign and location, e.g. VE3FRS/W9 or
> N9CFX/VE3. However, it is unlikely that anyone would complain if the form
> VE3/N9CFX were used."

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY