Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What to log?
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:08:11 +0000
AA4LR replied to W1VE-VE1RM:

>>Therefore, these are all valid callsigns, and the contest software
>>is smart
>>enough to know what country the station is actually in.
>
>So here's a dumb question -- how does the software know? If the
>portable designation can come before or after the callsign -- how can
>we tell which is which?
>
>If the (now SK) King of Jordan were to come to connecticut and sign
>JY1/W1 or W1/JY1 -- how could we tell which is which, programmatically?
>
>This is a puzzle that has perplexed me for years.

I'm not a coder, nor do I play one on TV, but when I wrote the
routine for my homebrew dBASE log so I could figure out
what countries I worked where, I looked for a "/" in the call &
then how many characters were on either side.

The case where fore=aft only seemed resolvable by user
intervention.

JY1/W1 & W1/JY1 are cases where fore>aft & fore<aft may
not mean what they appear to mean.

Things get messier when there is more than one "/" in the
call, or cases like FR/G or anycall/M (Glorioso or England,
anycall/mobile or anycall-portable-England?).

Still don't know what my country counts are.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham