Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP

To: KE5CTY Bob <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-1000MP
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:39:04 -0700
On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:02:24PM -0500, KE5CTY Bob wrote:

> I have found out that the FT-1000MP seems to be the most used rig by the
> top contest stations. (Big Guns) And that most all have 2 or more towers
> at 100 feet or better along with commercial grade mono band antennas and
> phased switchable tower arrays for the lower bands, back up amps, ect.
> Ect
>
> Also discovered they normally use N1MM networked logging software for
> controlling the stations rotors, rigs, band changes spotting ect.

Your above statements are very general and in my experience
seem to be somewhat skewed.  I think you will find that
that while the FT-1000xxxx radios are indeed the most popular
in the 'big gun' ham shack there are 'big gun' stations with
other makes of radios.

As to software I think you will find a much more varied
list than just N1MM.  If anything N1MM is very new to the scene
and there will be more folks using something else.  This too
changes.

> Why does the Yaesu seem to be the preferred rig when after all these
> years (since 1965) I have always heard that Signal One, Collins, and
> mostly Icom were the best rigs (best dynamic range, best filtering and
> most reliable over time) to get and that Yaesu was ok for the low budget
> but not preferred (money being no object) even above Kenwood.

These things change - some radios or better than others during a
given time frame and than someone comes along with a new radio.
The same is true for antennas and just about everything.

Signal One and Collins or Drake do not make amateur radio equipment
and have not for many years.

> Of what we call the top commercial rigs I have always heard the list
> from most to least desirable was Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu in that order
> with many others even above Icom when money is not an concern.

This order changes - as new radios and new designs come along.
There are also personal preferences and budgets to be considered.

ie.  I never was with the Icom IC-765, Ic-781 radios - and I have used
a number of them and on SSB, I just can never get the receiver to
sound right to me on SSB.

> These "Top Guns" "Big Guns" ect - are fellows who obviously don't need
> to worry about cost so price is not a factor.

That is not entirely true - most have some limit to the budget - some
have budgets that are quite small even if the stations do not seem
so small.

> Is there some sort of advertising campaign like with golf clubs that
> Yaesu offers these guys or have I heard wrong??

Not that I know of - except maybe for dexpeditions or one big contester.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii@kkn.net