[CQ-Contest] Fwd: [The Daily DX] DX SUMMIT AND THE FINNISH TREASUREHUNT

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: [The Daily DX] DX SUMMIT AND THE FINNISH TREASUREHUNT
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:31:44 -0400
         Does this bother anyone besides me?

>DX SUMMIT AND THE FINNISH TREASURE HUNT
>OH2W, OH4W, OH5W, OH6W, OH7W, OH8W and OH9W
>

>The Elisa Radio Club of Finland is managing the original world-renowned DX
>Summit, and you may have noticed that their heading includes the callsign
>of the group who operates the DX Cluster "OH9W".
>
>This coming weekend marks another interesting event when the DX Cluster
>will be employed to support the WRTC-2006 (World Radiosport Team
>Championship) OH qualifying run for 24 hours during the CW/SSB IARU
>Radiosport Contest that is sure to penetrate the bands.
>
>OH9W along with six (6) other W (Whiskey) callsigns will compete with
>low-power stations to capture the honors for Finnish team captain of the
>2006 WRTC event. You are invited to try to log these seven stations by
>following this DX Summit link:
>
><http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/wrtc.html>http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/wrtc.html
>

> From the above link you can move to the DX Summit Main Page and send your
> own spots and compete for honors to be one of the stations producing the
> highest number of spots during this event.
>
>If you manage to work all seven stations, a professional video featuring
>the WRTC-2002 event will be yours at no cost. The competing captain
>candidates - OH0XX, OH1JT, OH1NOA, OH2UA, OH4JFN and OH6RX -  will
>appreciate your call on all bands.

         While not technically violating the rules,
this seems to violate the sprit of the rules to me.

http://www.arrl.org/contests/rules/2005/iaru.html

6. Valid Contact:

6.4. The use of non-amateur radio means of communications (e.g. telephone
or the Internet) for the purpose of soliciting a contact (or contacts)
during the contest period is inconsistent with the spirit and intent of
these rules.

6.5. Use of self-spotting techniques on packet or other mediums are
inconsistent with the spirit and intent of these rules.

         I assume the OH*W stations will disqualify
themselves from any sort of competition with other
countries because of the advantage created by
their free video incentive.

         Just call me old-fashioned!

                         73,  Bill  W4ZV