[CQ-Contest] Icom Rig control

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Icom Rig control
From: "KE5CTY Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:35:14 -0500
Not sure what kind of connector this accessory socket#2 on the back of
the Icom 728 takes. Does anybody know what this type of connector is
called??

BTW I found an adapter from RS 232 TO DBA 9 in a box I had around here
for a long time. I rang it out and it rings out perfectly.

So I know I can use the CT-17 when it gets here. All I need now is a
cable with 1/8" plugs on both ends (stereo mini plugs), and I'm all set.
Which I think I can make for now. So I am set for the one rig for rig
control at least. I have a couple of old junk headsets from old
walkman's and trashed out 900 MHz telephones so I think I can mix and
match for that.

Now all I need to be concerned about is how I am going to get the ic-728
rig to key cw and work PSK.

I noticed in the Icom 728 manual that the 8 pin accessory socket "acc
socket #1" (I am using #2 for the AT-160 Auto-tuner) on the back of the
rig has:
1  NC  - 2 GND - 3 SEND - 4 MOD - 5 AF - 6 SQLS - 7 13.8V 8 ALC

Looks like I can use this some how for fixed audio input to the computer
input and possibly even audio output from the computer and keying the
ptt line for FSK transmitting.

The CW key jack on the back (I guess) is what I would use for keying the
CW portion of the program.

7&3 fer nw,
Bob
KE5CTY (old calls WB5ZQU - WY5L)
10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
http://www.qsl.net/ke5cty/
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.