Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: "'Simon Pearson'" <lists+1@attenuate.org>,"'Simon Brown'" <simon.brown@kns.ch>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:18:53 -0400
> Simon Pearson * M0CLW writes:
>
> > LoTW seems to me like an excuse to use the technology rather than
> > provide a good customer-oriented solution. This is a common mistake,

> > especially as this is only a hobby and not very important in the
> > grand scheme of things.
>
> I resisted the temptation to reply to this thread. But I have to say
> you just hit the nail on the head, Simon. It's simply pouring money
> into technology which is another mistake as the money could be much
> better spent elsewhere, IMO.

You gentlemen still don't get it ...

The "customer oriented solutions" are available in many of the well
designed logging programs (e.g., DXLabs/DXKeeper).

The only difference between LotW and other e-commerce web sites
(banking, brokerage, etc.) is that the 'customer' has a pre-existing
relationship with the financial institution and thus the account
already exists.

When Bill or David log into an account, their band/broker downloads
an encryption key to the remote terminal to protect the transaction.
If Bill or David were another bank or a merchant doing a large number
of "batch" transactions, they would have to obtain a certificate
(key) to prepare that "transmittal" off-line.

This is the case of LotW, that key is obtained in advance and stored
on the user's computer.  This stored key is used to prepare "batch"
uploads in advance so that the user does not need to enter each QSO
by hand while on-line.

The differences are minor and take into account the need to establish
identity remotely when "opening" an account.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV (ex K4IK)