Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.

To: "'Steve IK4WMH'" <ik4wmh@virgilio.it>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] L.O.T.W.
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:23:11 -0400
IK4WMH writesL

> Is the address stored in the FCC database enough proof of the identity
> of the applicant?

No, it's not proof but sending the "post card" to the ADDRESS in the
FCC database and no other address is assumed to be a way to make sure
that the person who uploaded the certificate is indeed the licensee.
If I were to generate a certificate request for someone else, I would
in theory never receive the card to complete the sign-up transaction.

> Why shall I send photocopies of my license and passport to prove who I
> am while you, US hams, don't have to?

Because ARRL have no access to a similar address verification for
DX stations?  If I recall correctly, many of the international
call/address lists are not official.

> Since I hold a US call I have the following two chances:
>
> 1. I request a LotW certificate for my US call, and *THEN* I use it to
> request an additional certificate for my italian home call

I would certainly avail myself of that opportunity.

> Do you consider it fair? I don't.

Fair or not is not my decision to make.  Many DX stations have chosen
to provide the requested documentation.  However, why do you not ask
ARI to open discussions with ARRL with an end to verifying identity
and generating the certificates closer to home?

> I guess I'll never get onto LotW unless the certificate request
> procedure is levelled between US and foreign hams.

That is your choice ... but very short sighted, in my opinion.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV