Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cluster Practices

To: "'w0mu'" <w0mu@w0mu.com>,"'Cq-Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Packet Cluster Practices
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 18:00:40 -0400
Some people are "fortunate" to be able to use their shacks
for other things (like "real" work) and can't be tuning the
bands constantly ... or like to be able to spend time with
a family and still know if something "rare" shows up.  The
constant crap about not being able to hear, or being upset
because the station is working another band/mode/part of the
world is completely unnecessary.

As to your question, "How did we every work a rare one 25 years
ago without packet?"  Quite simply, friends called friends on
the telephone (anyone remember "one ringers" at 2 AM?) or used
the local VHF "intercom" frequency.  Some areas even went to
the extent of using PLL or DTMF "all calls" to allow muting
all the chatter and still alerting when a "rare" one came
up.

Bottom line ... act like a gentleman and don't yell "FIRE!"
in the theater.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV