Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Contest Spots/Cheating

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Domestic Contest Spots/Cheating
From: "Steve.Root@culligan.com" <steve.root@culligan4water.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:58:47 +0100
This isn't going to be any more scientific than earlier discussions buts
here's my experience.  Before I had SO2R capablility I would spend
significant portions of the contest calling CQ and staring out the window.
With nothing else to do while waiting for an answer, I would take notes
about what was happening.  Occasionally I would experience a furry of
answers, a mini-pileup, a bump in my rate.  I would conclude that I must
have been spotted to account for this and make note of the time.  After the
contest it was easy enough to do a spot search on DX Summit to see how many
times K0SR had been spotted.  What I found was that I might get spotted once
or twice over a whole contest. (Minnesota isn't exactly a rare multiplier
and I'm not going to be loud from here).  I see almost no correlation
between my rate and any "spots".  I've concluded that changes in propagation
could easily account for the changes in my rate especially on a marginal
band like 10 meters.

My conclusion was that there were other mechanisms available that would
affect my rate over short periods of time that didn't necessarily involve
the use of packet.

Respectfully,

Steve K0SR