Re: [CQ-Contest] Live audio during WW Phone

To: Randy Thompson <k5zd@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Live audio during WW Phone
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:03:07 -0700
     If another competitive stations listens to this audio stream during the
contest, and they happen to be more than 500 meters away from station
K5ZD, they are violating the CQWW rules' ban on the use of remote receivers,
and should be disqualified from the contest.

     Is this warning going to be prominently displayed during the contest?
Are we going to have access to the IP addresses of the connections made
during the contest so we can correlate (a la K1TTT packet spot analysis)
the competitive stations that were using this remote receiver?

     I know there are, and have been, other remotely accessible HF receivers
available over Internet streams for a while now, but this seems to be
directly enticing people to break the CQWW rules.

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 01:49:50AM -0000, Randy Thompson wrote:
> A contest first? A new level of transparent contesting?
>
> We've all seen webcams from various stations, but wouldn't it be more
> interesting if you could hear what the ops were hearing in their headphones?
> This weekend in CQ WW Phone you can.
>
> KM3T will be operating K5ZD in a serious Single Operator All Band effort
> durign CQWW this weekend.  As a first for radio contesting (at least that
> Dave and I are aware of), we are going to stream the audio from his
> headphones out to the Internet.  This will be a full blown SO2R effort and
> the stream will be in stereo, so you hear exactly what he is hearing. If you
> have some time during the weekend and are near a web browser, you may want
> to listen in for awhile.
>
> To access the stream go to http://www.k5zd.com/live
>
> Look for the streaming to start a few hours before the contest (and possibly
> before then during testing on Wed-Fri).
>
> Interested in any and all comments.
>
> Randy Thompson, K5ZD
> k5zd@contesting.com
> www.k5zd.com
>

> PS - Sorry, no web cam or real-time score reporting.  Audio only. :)

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com
http://www.kenharker.com/