Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?

To: "Warren C. Stankiewicz" <nf1j@earthlink.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R -- revised opinion?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:13:09 -0600
I think Warren's right, to a point.

We have all accepted that to grow contesting, we must allow people the
chance to grow. So we slow down when called by someone at 15 wpm instead of
our 28. We explain to someone what the heck a 'check' is.

So I think the odd hiccup we might hear when an op is trying to learn how to
SO2R we can chalk up to the spirit of growth that is ham radio.

I think if people want to opt out of SO into some separate SO1R category
like the tribander-wires category in some contests, fine. But SO is SO and
should remain the gold standard. And if the best ops are the ones who SO2R,
along with those who don't but don't want to marginalize their effort by
playing in some B-side semifinal, we should celebrate that.

Nobody ever talks about the SO1Rs who win. Against the SO2Rs.

Whenever the SO2R argument comes up, people jump on it as though it's some
huge bogeyman, whether they fully understand it or not. SO2R does NOT mean
you get to listen 100 per cent of the time. (Nobody is that wired.) SO2R
does not mean you're running twice the rate of SO1R. Even the best SO2R ops
admit that most second-radio Qs happen when the first radio is relatively
quiet.

SO2R should be relatively seamless. But it's practice that makes it so.

As for SO2R ops that TX on two bands simultaneously, if that even happens,
well, that is STILL against the rules.

73, kelly
ve4xt