Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting
From: "Shelby Summerville" <k4ww@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 05:33:40 -0500
K4RO Kirk Pickering wrote: "Over the last few years I've been starting to
see the light"

Not too much that I read or see, causes me to do a "self evaluation", but
the presentation by Jay, WS7I, "Ten Sure Fire Ways to Improve QSO Rate in
RTTY Contests, http://www.rttycontesting.com/dayton03/ws7i_doc.html  caused
me to do so!
Seldom, if ever, do I review previous contest efforts, except to see how
many Q's were made, and what was my score. My main interest is to improve on
"last year's" score, and other than having "last year's" score available,
nothing else is done. I have never asked anyone for their logs, as usually I
'm only interested in my own score, not theirs. I pay little, if any
attention to the sunspot activity. If there are contacts to be made, I'll
try and make them. If not, maybe I'll go fishing. I have no idea what a "QSO
curve" is, and I will usually start on the highest band available, and work
down.
I can't recall ever starting a contest with a definite "time off" planned.
If/when a contest starts a 0000Z, I will operate until I get too sleepy to
do so, then go to bed. As an "early riser", I'm usually back on the air by
0900Z. My favorite contests are the short (less than 24 hours) ones, or ones
that "define" when everyone will operate and when everyone will be off.
Ah ha, found something that I do! I have all my buffers programmed prior to
starting, and have several variations for most, depending on propagation and
other situations.
My antenna system (TriBand @ 55 feet, 2 element 40 @ 50 feet, inverted vee @
50 feet) allows me to practically "work all those I can print". I have no
room for other antennas, so "redesigning" my antenna system is not
practical. Being located between the South and Heartland, I just try and
work what is available.
What really doesn't apply to my contest approach: "Contesting should be hard
work, are you working hard enough"? Most likely, no! If/when contesting
becomes work instead of fun, I'll go fishing! With advances in technology,
and being technically "challenged", I feel I'm unsuited for much more that
what I have, and I "can live with that"! I have had to change my own
definition of "winning". Winning, for me, is "having done the best I could,
with what I have, and had fun doing it"!
The part of the conclusion, "good operators work hard during the contest,
and above all else, they have fun", certainly seems like a contradictory
statement?
I, maybe, admire the stations that devote "whatever is necessary" to attain
a "winning" score, but I have no intention of completely changing my
lifestyle, in order to participate in a contest! I assure you that "there is
life after 60", and I plan on doing "whatever is necessary" to assure myself
of "life after 100".
My "self reevaluation" conclusion: "I'm not really a contester, just one, of
many, that enjoy the competition".

C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW