Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Competitor Friendly Contesting
From: "Gerard Lynch" <gerrylynch@freenetname.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 14:52:43 -0000
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>

> In reality there is a number of first class contests which run for 24Hours
> ( Russian DX) or 36 of 48( WAE),

Russian DX is a great contest and becoming bigger and better every year;
IOTA and IARU are also 24 hour only events and both attract plenty of
activity.  I realise that the first two of these clearly aren't as popular
in North America as they are in Europe or Asia... however there's a pretty
simple remedy for that problem.

Didn't the leading Multi/Single in RDXC last year make something like 4,500
QSOs?  ~180/hr sounds like pretty good rate to me.

I'm amazed at how many people really want to *win* contests; personally,
knowing I have a relatively poor station means I challenge myself, my
previous results and often just have fun taking part and giving away points
when time is limited.  I know I'm not going to "win".  I don't feel the need
to ask for a "100W and a mediocre dipole from a large apartment block in the
middle of a big city with lots of QRN - oh and 13.5 hours only as I've got
other commitments this weekend" category.

73

Gerry G0RTN
Vanity Page at http://www.gerrylynch.co.uk
"In days of old, when ops were bold, and sidebands not invented,
The word would pass, by pounding brass, and all were well contented."