Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 07:03:45 -0600
> I think Jeff is absolutely right that the WRTC should be open to anyone
> who wants to participate.  Something like a marathon, to use a sports
> analogy.

I think WRTC tries to draw a line between:

1. On-site contesting between champions
2. What we all do every weekend anyway

There are marathons and there are marathons.  I don't think I'd give a hoot
about the Olympics if there wasn't a rather fastidious screening process to
ensure only the best athletes compete at the Olympics.

We can take heart in the fact that even the Olympics suffer from the same
stuff we're grousing about, and we all hear it on the news - judges favoring
their own athletes, people with no talent getting in from obscure countries,
qualification criteria that are flawed, etc.

On-site contesting is a concept that sounds good on paper, but is obviously
very hard to implement.  I'm glad we're trying, and maybe, 20 years from
now, we'll have it all sorted out; but we won't get there without continuing
the experiment now.

Thanks to OMS and the gang for picking up the baton.

Mark, N5OT