Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria

To: "Steve.Root@culligan.com" <steve.root@culligan4water.com>,"Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net>,"CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Selection Criteria
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:07:56 -0600
I have to side with Steve on this one.

Ward's Olympic analogy, while well-intentioned, is a little flawed: with
indoor running tracks, a runner in Siberia could develop the necessary
talent to compete at the Olympic level without having to move to a training
facility on Easter Island or Galapagos.

In Amateur Radio, that ability doesn't exist everywhere in the world. If
what Ward is saying is that only those operators who live in New England,
only those operators with the wherewithal to build competitive stations in
D4 or EA9 or HC8, only those operators with either a flexible enough work
schedule -- or no work schedule at all -- to guest op around the world can
play in WRTC, then I've just lost all interest in WRTC. (And this doesn't
even include the large cost of attending a WRTC.)

Ability shouldn't be measured by results alone: here in the Black Hole, we
have a number of highly skilled operators who are never going to win a
contest simply because of geography, yet in the right setting, could be very
competitive. Given the large geographic advantage of Puerto Rico, if someone
goes there and wins a large number of SSs in a row, does that necessarily
make them a better operator than someone in Johnson City, Tx, or Boring,
Ore.?

If WRTC is only going to be for the rich, then maybe the rest of us can just
ignore it altogether. Somehow, I don't think that's what anyone intends.

73, kelly
ve4xt