Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It

To: <TOMK5RC@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP - Get Over It
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 14:41:15 -0500

> 3. Signing /QRP is not legal! It is not an approved portable
> designator. I will not put /QRP in my log or on a QSL card.

This one always makes me laugh (then cry.) It's such a time-waster.

When I'm really sleep-deprived, /QRP always makes me think of the taunt we
used as kids: "Do you want a medal, or chest to pin it on?" I understand
that QRP ops are proud of their accomplishments (heck, I'm really impressed
when a QRP station bends my S-meter at 20 over 9.), but that's incidental to
the contest. Yeah, it's sort of nice to know when I'm copying a 5W station
Q5, but again that's incidental to my contest goals. Besides, I wouldn't be
half as impressed if I knew the QRP station was running a 5/5/5/5 stack.
Let's talk ERP, shall we?

There is absolutely no advantage to sending /QRP. It just takes longer to
complete the QSO. Many QRP ops don't realize that the longer and slower the
call, the more likely it is that part of it will get obliterated by QRM or
QRN, and they will have to repeat.

Also, when I ask for a fills from QRP ops, they almost always repeat twice
or even three times (some will repeat 4, 5, or 6 times, adding /QRP every
single time!) They are making the erroneous assumption that I can't copy
their tiny signal and they have to send over and over. That's almost never
the case. Remember, many QRP stations are louder than 100W stations with
poor antennas. If I respond at all, I can probably copy you. Usually, I ask
for a fill because I've missed one element or one character due to QRM, QRN
or my brain not functioning. A single repeat is sufficient unless I ask
again. Even then, don't repeat more than twice each time I ask for a fill
(except on 160, of course!)

I *never* log the /QRP and never put it on the card.

73, Dick WC1M