Re: [CQ-Contest] 48 hours and health

To: Tonno Vahk <tonno.vahk@mail.ee>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 48 hours and health
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:53:13 -0800
I can tell you that sitting in the seat of a C-130 at the radio
op/navigators position for hours and hours, having the Loadmaster bring
you a box lunch and eating while operating and only getting up long
enough for a head (toilet) call and hoping no one is calling you while
you are away for 25 years gives you hemorrhoids.  Then there are the
search missions when you are at 100 ft with two engines shut down to
save fuel and slow you down in rough weather and the CW you are sending
starts to get a little choppy and you have to make repeats.  Sure was
happy when we installed RTTY to work the USCG COMM STATIONS instead of CW.
But then you land in Bangkok, Manila, Palau, Tokyo, Seoul, etc, and it
makes it all worth while.
Been to every Pacific Island and Asia LORAN Station in the world, some
in Europe and North Africa, and crossed the Arctic Circle from 3
different countries, and crossed the spot where the Equator and Intl
Date Line intersect, boy did the INS go crazy for a couple of seconds
when that happened (changing from 179.9E to 179.9W and 000.01N to
000.01S all at the same instant.)

Thanks for the 2005 CQWWDX SSB Contest Mult and QSO.

73

--
Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ