Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP and 75 Meters

To: <Jimk8mr@aol.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NAQP and 75 Meters
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:53:15 -0800
From: <Jimk8mr@aol.com>

> Was there a typo here?  I never realized the DX window was 100 khz  wide,
> from 3700 to 3800, half of which we USA guys can't use anyway.
>
> I suspect he meant 3790 to 3800 - ten KHz. If so,  I wouldn't  consider it
> unreasonable to ask contesters to avoid this, at least in  January.  In
> the QRN
> filled NAQP in August, however, I'd  have no  problem telling them to
> pound
> salt.
>
> 73  -  Jim   K8MR

I don't know, Jim. That sort of sets a bad precedent.
Out here in California, we sometimes get good openings
to Southern Africa in the early evening during the summer.
In fact its been my experience that these openings can be
better than the wintertime openings. When people who
don't know better hear domestic contesters using the
window during the summer, they may get the wrong
impression that its okay to contest there anytime. You
start to make exceptions and pretty soon the whole
thing goes out the window. Its only a 10KHz chunk of
spectrum. Heck about a month ago a couple of DL's were
ragchewing on 3795 just after their sunrise. Some east
coaster broke into say hello and totally covered up a TZ9
a few KHz below them who was peaking here.  The DL's
probably figured it was late enough in the morning that
they could ragchew there without bothering anyone.