Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW Support by ARRL Officials & Officers

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LotW Support by ARRL Officials & Officers
From: "Dale Putnam" <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:38:27 -0700
Understanding the need for WAS, and realizing that after a few years of
using my radio, developing antennas, and answering the qsl requests after
verifiying each of them as being in my log, and having aquired a rather
sizable amount of NIL cards too, and having talked with a number of the
fellows here, it summerizes easily. Make the contact, insure that you log it
in your log correctly, send along an SASE, ( with over 10,000 q in the logs
for a year, the urge to send a qsl without SASE is not doable) and again,
make mighty sure that the info for the qso is accurate, and give all... not
just a piece of the information, but all of it, don't just hope that most is
close, and what you missed is the killer.
  Now, about LOTW, I prefer to answer with the personal touch. I also prefer
cw, ragchewing, building RC aircraft, and raising and training performance
quarter horses. I have volunteered for this hobby, and many years in civic
volunteerism too. I don't prefer LOTW, just like some folks don't like to
drive SUVs or roller skates, or maybe even a speck. The reason I don't
prefer LOTW, is not germane to the discussion, it is however not applicable
at this time either. See W4ZV recent post.
  I also have chased was, and a number of the other pieces of paper for the
wall. And each has its own desirable nature, and should be and are respected
for what they stand for. However, after obtaining them, the stories that I
have heard while looking over someones wallpaper, is not how they uploaded
and downloaded and instantly got the paper. The stories usually have the
flavor of the chase, the tracking, the Q, the obtaining the confirmation
doesn't hold much for the recollection of the magical moment of opening the
envelope and pulling out the paper.
  And the more prolific qslers, have shown up in my inbox with numerous
cards, for many bands and modes. No problem, because it takes less time to
confirm that q than it does to look through 15 contest logs to try to find
someone that can't seem to provide enough info, like the name of the
contest, since the date and time are wrong. Clocks and electronic calendars
can be misread, or just plain wrong, but the name of the contest does
provide a common ground from whence a q can be found. And that, is what is
not desirable in my opinion, with LOTW. Just one of the items.
  LOTW is a wonderful oppurtunity for those that want to support it. And is
a great instant gratification method to prove the qso happened. It will and
does provide for quicker and more accurate responses. With no other
reasoning envolved, it is a grand tool to use to obtain WAS, or other
awards. Should be found to be invaluable. However, it will become better,
and more accurate, and more,... as we, ourselves, improve.

Dale - WC7S in Wy.