Re: [CQ-Contest] Wires only?

To: "Blake M." <n4gi@tampabay.rr.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>,"Bill Turner" <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wires only?
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:08:58 -0600
Umm, part of encouragement is acknowledging that in ANY competitive
endeavour, it takes time to become competitive. Tiger Woods started golfing
at age 3, almost all of the current Formula One stars started in go-karts
before they turned 10, Wayne Gretzky started playing hockey when he was 5.

Failure to set up realistic expectations is a huge misjudgment by an Elmer:
it's telling someone who has only ever golfed casually they could win The
Masters. Bring someone in to contesting and you MUST tell them that it takes
time and practice to become a winner, just as is the case in EVERY OTHER
COMPETITIVE ENDEAVOUR there is.

There's a great sign sponsored by one of our banks up at a local hockey
rink: When people play for the love of the game, everybody wins.

73, kelly
ve4xt