Re: [CQ-Contest] Wires only?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wires only?
From: KI9A@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:07:19 EST
In a message dated 1/29/2006 12:26:41 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ve4xt@mts.net writes:

wonder  how many people would expect to be able to take their 1996 Impala
to  Daytona and beat Jeff Gordon?

Or show up at Augusta and win The  Masters?

Or face off against Kobe and win?

Or take their  used-sports-store skis to Austria and beat Hermann Maier

Well, apples and oranges here Kelly...I have a car I that I drag race on
Wednesday nights here locally. I can cut a light as fast as most anyone. But,
my
equipment isn't the same, & I would for sure get discouraged by getting a
butt whipping every week, by guys with better ( more expensive) race cars, but,

there are CLASSES made for guys like me. Why not in our sport  of contesting,
is all I am asking. No, I can't run with John Force. Or  Brandon Bernstein.
But, I can hold my own with in my class.

Looking at this response, and a couple others, it seems maybe these guys
wanted to win right off the bat. Not true. They are not stupid, they understand

it takes years of practice, so, please don't insult them, or me by silly
flames.  But they do understand, all things given, equal ops, equal QTH,  the
guy
with the towers & staked yagi's will always win. What I, and others would
like to see is a simple change of classes. One that fits us a bit better. After

all, there are classes for guys with amplifiers, & guys with packet. Why not
one with poor antennas. I , myself know, I will always get smoked using my
little station. I still enjoy contesting, knowing I have little or no chance of

ever winning. But, not everyone is like me.

73-Chuck KI9A