Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report over modulation

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report over modulation
From: Doug Smith W9WI <w9wi@earthlink.net>
Date: 09 Mar 2006 08:08:58 -0600
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 06:43, Jose Valdes wrote:
> Unfortunately this  over modulation problem is not unique to SA stations, as
> you know, and you are in my log,

Absolutely, this is an international problem.  Or at least, a problem in
both SA and EU.  (can't say I've ever had a distortion problem with a
JA.)

> My experience shows that must of the time this problems shows during
> Voice-Keyer usage, in one case a guy sent me his call several time and I
> can't not understand him, but when stopped using the keyer to send his call
> and spoke to his microphone, he came clearly; excessive Voice-Keyer output
> mated to excessive speech processor/mic gain is the may cause of this
> problem.

I think you're right about this.  It's a real challenge to get voice
keyer output levels set properly.  It seems some programs (contest
programs and otherwise) override the Windows mixer values, so if you're
set up for proper levels when playing a .wav file out of Sound Recorder
or a PSK31 program like Digipan, that doesn't necessarily mean the
levels will be right in N1MM or something like that.

One really should test with a local a few days before the contest.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66