Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards ???

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Scoreboards ???
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:20:00 -0400

Until we get to the point of having fully "Realtime" Contest Scoreboards,
something like the above WRTC (URL) would be very cool.

Further, with some options to display ONLY specific stations of interest and no
% changes (but perhaps band/mode tallies).  This would be very interesting for
club competitions and selected member callsigns.<<

Pardon my ignorance, or danger of being called Luddite, but:

I am wondering about this obsession with contest scoreboards.

As a serious contester, going for blood, what would I use it for? If I am way
ahead, I could slack out, have nap, or go to the bar?

If I am way behind, what do I do? Quit the contest, because I have no chance to
win, or send Tony Soprano to visit competing station with wire cutters?

If I am just casual, making few contacts here and there, do I look for my
favorite stations to feed them points? Or go and tie up the front runner with
slow repeats, or feed them with bogus calls to have them take full advantage of
3 QSO "learn the accuracy" penalties?

What should the middle of the field contester do, watch the scoreboard or
operate?

I can see the attraction of WRTC posting because of unique contest for all
those in one place, but if I am seriously, going for blood (points), I could
care less who is doing what. All I am concerned is to go like hell, make the
most I can and when the final whistle blows, then see how I did.

I think we can make analogy to timed races, like downhill skiing, you have your
chance, you try to make the best of it and see where you end up. If you have
bunch of non-participating spectators, it might have a purpose, but in
contesting, where we are trying to fill that second day with contacts, I'd
rather see casual contesters encouraged to fire up and work stations, rather
than watch the scoreboard. Don't tell me that this would bring the contest
haters into contesting (unless we are on "reality TV" show,  and tie up the TV
channel for 48 hours :-)

As far as proper reflection of scores and efforts in HF contests, as the Earth
turns, the propagation is flowing at different parts of the world and really
messes up any correlation of scores. So what's the point?

I think first thing to "fix" is the 9-month real results processing. With logs
that can be available in 24 hours, processed, UBNed in 6 (?) hours, why do we
have to wait 9 months for the "birth" of the official and final results? I
would like to see final results posted after the contest, not just reported
some scores on 3830, and not to get them 9 months after the contest, when I
forgot all about it.

Oh well, scoreboards, 3 QSO "penalty", 9 months of results pregnancy, packet
pileups, aging OF contesters - better way to go? Just grumpy old F musing.

73, Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU

N2T - Tesla RC celebrating 150th birthday of Nikola Tesla from new home
www.TeslaRadio.org