[CQ-Contest] Is it time to change IARU contest rules for HQ stns

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Is it time to change IARU contest rules for HQ stns
From: "Valeri Stefanov" <wally@el-soft.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:33:35 +0300
Dave,

I have corrected my mistake while trying to translate text from Russian.
No, I guess most of DL or SP stations have worked from their own stations
and only few were using another station to work their national HQ stns.

I started this discussion because, if we keep going in this direction it
will come a time in a period of say 3-5 years when IARU will turn into a
domestic contest for EU HQ stns with largest ham population. If every second
QSO they make is with their own country now - then what follows - every
first to be with own country or what :-) ..... ? A good sense is lost and I
do not accept explanations of  Igor ( another country with large number of
hams ).
If we go the same way, why not to make domestic contests for DL,SP,UA etc.
handing out free diplomas and then just send the logs to organizing comittee
of IARU ? Why bother to work hams from other countries ? I thought IARU
contest has been organized for working hams all around the globe beside your
own country hams - is it ?

Anyway, it seems there a different opinions on the matter. I guess next time
instead of  installing antennas I'll be sitting next to the pool having a
good chat with friends and having some beer as well :-). I'll leave IARU
contest to the fellows who would like to work every single ham within their
own country :-).

73, Wally

Years ago there were rules about only allowing one call to be used by a
station.  There were also rules about operators of a station not being
allowed to work the station.

The first rule means that in a multi op station the operators are not
allowed to use their call.  I remember the OK3 station that worked VP2MDX
on 80 in the early 1970's.  Two single op OK3's followed the QSO.  They were
listed as ops at the OK3.  The second rule was to stop all the ops at a
multi op or field day club station from going home and working the station.

If what Wally says is true, stations are lining up at another powerful
station and at slow times are working the HQ station.  I suspect that W1AW/4
worked at least 1500 USA Q's out of 4200Q's (as an example).  This is legal
the first is NOT.

Dave K4JRB