[VHFcontesting] The XML and RFSport.com Initiatives

To: cq-contest@contesting.com,VHF Contesting e-Mail List <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The XML and RFSport.com Initiatives
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 05:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
For those who haven't taken the time to understand
what is being discussed (and often misunderstood),
I've put together a brief, "off the top of my head"
project map of the two known realtime scoreboarding
systems:

--- Key ---
X   = Implemented at at least a "beta test" level
IBO = needs to be Implemented By Others
(blank) = Not a known component of the project
(correction requested, of course)
future = an anticipated future-feature

                               XML4Results RFSport.com
                               ----------- -----------
A "NASCAR"-like common logger       n/a        X
Support by existing Loggers         IBO       n/a
Reporting Protocol                   X         X
Internet-based Score-collection
 system (scalable)                  IBO        X
RF-based Score-collection System    n/a      future
Internet-based Log-collection
 system (scalable)                  n/a        X
Data-reporting system               n/a        X
 (both local and web-based)
Data-archiving system               n/a        X
Data-mining system                  n/a        X
Automated Log Cross-checking        n/a      future
Automated Log Discrepency Reporting n/a      future
Automated Award Generation          n/a        X (1)
Development Team                   K1TTT      W2EV
                                  WB7BNM      N7YG
                                (others?)     K4HG
                                            KC6QJO
User info and feedback      hornucopia.com RFSport.com

Note 1: Manual now, automated in the future
Note 2: The RFSport.com initiative should not be
        considered to be mature.  Works today, but
        is constantly being improved.  There is a need
        for functional volunteers (not just suggestion
        makers) in the areas of MySQL and CGI.
Note 3: It is quite possible that RFSport.com may
        may adopt the XML work, once completed.  With
        XML work done by others now, focus is being
        placed in maturing other areas.

For the record (yet again), I applaud the XML group's
work!  I hope that the information above helps to
dismiss some misconceptions along the way.

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV