[CQ-Contest] hiss

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] hiss
From: <k8bb@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:23:35 -0000
I notice that most amateur transceivers, even most (all?) high-end units,
have quite "hissy" audio amplification. I find this particularly irritating
but I have ignored it or otherwise dealt with it until it doesn't bother me
anymore. However, I have *excellent* hearing and I would like to keep it
that way - pumping high-freqency, white-noise hiss (even very low level)
through my headset until I become desensitized to it is not looking out for
a healthy future. :-)

Anybody use an audio filter to get rid of your rig's audio amplifier noise?
I have a Heathkit HD-1418 audio filter on one of my radios which is a most
excellent variable audio filter, but the audio amplifier in it is not much
cleaner than my rig. I have also seen the SCAF-1 by Idiom Press that is
intended to help low-level filter blow-by (etc.) but supposedly also helps
fix "white noise" hiss and stuff. Anybody use one? Does it work for this
purpose?

Can anybody offer an alternative solution for somebody who still has
very-wide-frequency hearing? I am not really looking for a "ham radio audio
filter" as much as I am looking to improve the poor-quality audio coming
from the audio amplification stage of my receivers.

Thanks!
Don Chisholm K8BB
Pontiac, MI