Re: [CQ-Contest] hiss

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] hiss
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 16:15:25 -0700
K8BB writes:

> Can anybody offer an alternative solution for somebody who still has
> very-wide-frequency hearing? I am not really looking for a "ham radio audio
> filter" as much as I am looking to improve the poor-quality audio coming
> from the audio amplification stage of my receivers.

I have the same issue - and still hear things others can't at the high end.

Two solutions I have seen:

1. Back before we had audio filters, there was a circuit in the older handbooks
called something like a crud-o-ject.  It was a passive audio filter that had
some big inductors in it - and really did a good job eliminating hiss.

2. Currently, I run my audio from my rigs through a radio shack Stereo tuner/
amplifier.  When using it for ham radio, I adjust the tone controls for
minimum highs and low - giving me good rejection of the hiss coming from my
radios.

Most any other device - like an audio filter - is going to have the same hiss
problem - because it appears that most audio designers have done a better job
of blowing out their hearing than we have.  I used to use a Radio Shack mixer
with my rigs - but finally couldn't handle the hiss any more.  Another solution
would be an expensive mixer (i.e., quiet) with equalization controls that you
could use to cut everything above about 5 kHz out.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net