Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

To: CQ-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"
From: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:30:18 -0700
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Mark, N5OT, wrote:

 > > If I send a question mark (di di dah dah di dit) twice
 > > and hear nothing, the frequency is mine to use.
 >
 >  "Di-di-dah-dah-di-dit" does not mean "is the frequency in use?"  Using it
 > as such is bad form.  MHO.

If I here one or more "?" sent on a frequency but don't hear another
station respond, it is a possible clue that the guy sending "?" is asking
for what was a partial callsign of another California station that I can't
hear (like on 20m)...and I wouldn't want to be on that frequency in the
first place...especially if the other California station is louder in the
Midwest or on the East Coast than me.  So I'll move on and look for a
{cough, cough}..."clear" frequency to send my "QRL?"

IMHO, "QRL?" should be the standard "inquiry".

FWIW & 73...

RIck, K6VVA