Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

To: <w9wi@w9wi.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:26:33 -0500

> I would imagine most of us would respond to pretty much
> anything that got transmitted on our run frequency.  I'm
> not so sure about the average ragchewer or new CW
> operator.

This is an excellent point, and one that serves to remind us that even
during a contest, contesters don't own the band. Casual ops are more prone
than we to not understanding the scope of what's at stake by not responding
to a ?

On the other hand, casual ops also have greater expectations than we of the
bandwidth of their clear spot. What to us is close but not too close is
'intentional QRM' to many casuals.

73, kelly
ve4xt