Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept

To: Yuri VE3DZ <ve3dz@rigexpert.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Distanced-Based Contest Concept
From: Jim George <n3bb@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:22:17 -0500
You are correct, Yuri.  The CQWW will always be based on the WAZ zones as
mults along with DXCC mults.

My recommendation is for a new contest, based on using:

(1) distance as a basis for the value of a contact, and also permitting a
contact with one's own country, and,

(2) mults being a zone rather than a DXCC entity. Using DXCCs means that
every contest will be dominated by those who can have the best skip into
Europe.

Using a grid square and also a zone (such as the ITU zone) as the exchange
will make copying the exchange meaningful, enable the scoring to calculate
the "distance value," and the zones will make the mults exciting. It's time
to get rid of the DXCC entity as a mult. The IARU uses the ITU zones, which
is good, but it messes things up by (IMHO) having all the HQ mults, which
is another way of  making EU dominate, and it does not give credit for
distance.

That's the proposal, and it would be interesting for some sponsoring body
to adopt these concepts.

Jim George N3BB