Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: DL8MBS <prickler.schneider@t-online.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 12:56:18 +0100
Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

>but if a frequency I'm licensed to use is open and I'm looking for a "hole"
>in the band, you'd better believe I'll use it and not leave it for
>someone else who might be engaged in a different kind of amateur
>activity.

So please go ahead and do it everytime on any day and discuss it with
the ones to come to talk to you about it - even during weekdays the
"holes" in the CW portion will be better than in the SSB part. Of course
it is not illegal to ignore a gentlemen´s agreement, but in this way
contesters and the contesting community may not gain additional
sympathy. Doing something not prohbited you/we may not need sympathy but
IMHO the contesting community and contesters have better things to talk
with the not or rarely contesting ham population than defending against
the image of being aggressive, arrogant and rude - and you know that
this image isn´t restricted only to some 75m-ragchewing folks. Trying to
work a XU7 in CW on 7009 annihilated by a contest DX-pedition in SSB I
can at least understand the feeling of i.e. some DXing folks. I may not
share it completely but I´m getting tired to defend us contesters
against the attacks of being arrogant and rude as long as contesters
show IMHO so little respect to the non-contesting community.

If it is as easy as you say then sponsors should announce publicly weeks
or days before the contest: "Sorry for the inconvenience we are causing
to you with our contest because we do not want/cannot make the
gentlemens´s agreement part of the rules and the SSB-portion is too
small to handle all the contest traffic." Any problem with that?

Oh, and please don´t command me to go fishing as goes the newest flame
here - I don´t like it.

Best 73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de).