Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>,"'CQ Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 05:42:34 -0600
To me, the truth lies somewhere between Joe's and Ron's viewpoints.

Joe isn't advocating trampling on anybody, merely saying that an open
frequency is by definition, open. If nobody's using it, why can't he? If
someone else wants to stake their claim first, by starting a ragchew or
whatever, then Joe will have to find somewhere else. Isn't that your point,
Joe?

Where Joe's position gets a little dicey is when his pileup gets too wide
and starts elbowing other users out of the way. He can't be held responsible
for his callers' inabilities to set their VFO properly, but it does speak to
why a run station can generate ill will at times toward contesters,
particularly amongst non-contesters who think they're adhering to the
bandplan.

However, the net result of Ron's viewpoint is this: if you can't find a
space according to the bandplan, go away.

That's a little too extreme, in my view. I don't think we want to get into
the business of telling any amateur that he has to go fishing instead of
using a frequency that's perfectly open, perfectly accessible under the
rules of his licence.

High levels of activity are a good thing. To think otherwise is to begin to
write the epitaph for amateur radio.

Also, to restrict access to 40 meters because the frequencies allotted under
the band plan aren't available, while leaving swaths untouched, only
provides argumentative fodder for those who would argue against expanding 40
meters. Is that what we want?

73, kelly
ve4xt