[CQ-Contest] Official ARRL Section Name Use on SSB?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Official ARRL Section Name Use on SSB?
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:30:52 -0800
(RE-Threaded from: RE: Blogs, changing exchanges and sponsors)

TRlog author & Contesting Guru, Tree, N6TR, wrote:

> And even so - some exchanges are worse.  About 20 percent of the time
> someone says "SACRAMENTO VALLEY" on phone, someone will log SCV  (or
> visa versa).  I have to go remove those from the unstable list manually.
>
> My advice to anyone near Sacramento is to say "sugar victor".  It's not only
> quicker, it will help improve the accuracy of the information exchanged.

And the reverse is true.  Being in SCV, I too frequently have people respond
with either "Sacramento Valley?" or "San Joaquin Valley".  That's when I
usually start screaming "SUGAR CHARLIE VICTOR".

This raises a very technical question now...

Does the ARRL recognize the use of "sugar victor" (example) as an acceptable
"alias" for "Sacramento Valley" in terms of the offical rules and initial
sending of an SEC?

If "SEC" means we need to give the "Official" name of our Section, then aren't
we really required to first and foremost use said "Official" name (until
additional clarifier phonetic aides are needed in the QRM)?

Technically, I am NOT in an ARRL SEC known as "Sugar Charlie Victor" ... I am
in the "Santa Clara Valley" section ("Sugar Charlie Victor" ONLY for repeats).
Is "Alpha Kilo" an ARRL recognized SEC name for "Alaska" ???

I hope someone from the ARRL will make an "Official" policy comment about this.

73...

Rick, K6VVA