Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] Official ARRL Section Name Use on SSB?

To: Eric Hilding <dx35@hilding.com>, nccc@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [NCCC] Official ARRL Section Name Use on SSB?
From: Dave N2NL <n2nl@n2nl.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:16:24 -0800
    Imagine me as a new contester, participating in this SSB contest
called Sweepstakes.  I grew up in New Jersey, and had never been to
California.  What's obvious to you is oblivious to me.  Yeah, I have my
section check-off-list, but it lists them as SV, SCV, SJC, ETC.  Imagine
my confusion when I try to hear your exchange through the QRM.  Did you
just say "Santa Clara Valley" or "Sacramento Valley"?  Say them both out
loud.  Sound pretty similar, don't they?  Now, add San Joaquin Valley to
the mix.  Sounds an awful lot like the other two.  The call sign won't
help either - you're all 6's.  I imagine I busted a bunch of sections
the first couple years because of this.
   Granted, when I bust your exchange, you don't lose the points, so why
care?  Here's why: Once I learn the importance of copying the section
correctly, I'm going to ask you for fills.  That's going to slow down
your rate.
   This really happened to me.  I imagine it happens to a lot of new
contesters.

***The ARRL doesn't care how you send the section, they care that the
proper abbreviations are shown in your Cabrillo log entry.***

 Oh, and were you a resident of "SCV land" last weekend?  ;)

73, Dave N2NL/6