Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes: Should I be penalized for getting mylicens

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Sweepstakes: Should I be penalized for getting mylicense in 2000?
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:25:21 +0000
Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:

>Jeff, FWIW, you are absolutely correct.  That's what the rules say, that's
>what's supposed to be done.  The reality is that some people don't follow that
>rule.

I've been following this thread with interest and bemusement.

Some CK years are, in fact, more difficult to copy through QRN, or to
manually send properly, it's true.  But then, so are some call signs.
Like locations, antennas, family commitments, etc., not every CK or
every call is created equal.  Yes, the rules say to use the year you
were first licensed.  Yes, various ARRL staffers over the years have
said "just pick a 2-dgit number and stick with it".

But I'd like to put forth a little different slant on the topic.

The Sweepstakes is special to me because I perceive it as a very
"fraternalistic" event.  In many QSOs I'm working people I've been
competing against for decades.  It's almost like a high school class
reunion.   In other QSOs I'm hearing checks that start with a zero and
I'm marveling at how good so many of these new ops are with just a few
years of being on the air.  I *enjoy* hearing all these CKs, new and
old, and I would like to believe they're truly the year first licensed
for the operator.

My own CK is no prize -- I have struggled for decades getting people to
be able to copy "54" through QRM, QRN, and QSB without repeats.  But
it's a badge of honor to me -- I'm proud of that number, and I can't
imagine putting a fake replacement out there in its place.  So....with
automated sending of CT and other software, I've found -- as others have
suggested here -- that adding extra spaces before the "5" and between
the "5" and the "4" has been a big help.  I also find adding a space
after the first letter of "WNY" or "NNY" similarly beneficial.  In true
Farnsworth tradition, extra spacing seems to work better for the folks I
work than changing speed in the middle of the SS message.

If you can't find a better solution to getting your CK across to others
than changing your FCC-given (or DOC-given) pair of digits to some
"scientifically" determined ones, I submit you're likely to get beaten
for other, more compelling reasons than a "poor" CK.

In short, part of the reason I get in the SS is that it's fun.  And part
of the fun for me is putting CKs with call signs.  It would be sad if
there were mass movement toward depersonalizing the check.

Bud, W2RU