Re: [CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] why Unlimited [aka Assisted]?
From: George Fremin III <geoiii@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 07:25:45 -0800
On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 01:10:23AM +0000, kr2q@optonline.net wrote:
> Hi all (especially users of assistance: packet/internet/spotting nets/etc).
>
> So - I am looking at the SS results summary (thanks Dink) on 3830.  I note
> that (currently)
> the number 1 slot for SO HP Unlimited has the same score as the number 10
> slot for SO HP
> "not unlimited."
>
> This happens all the time in virtually every contest (DX and obviously
> domestic also).
>
> So my question is, why do you top guns in the assisted/unlimited category go
> for this
> category?  Honestly, most of you are top ops.  Statistically, using
> assistance is hurting
> your score.  And you all have BIG scores (SS), so you must be driven to
> compete.
>
> So...why do you choose to go Unlimited?

In SS the spots should never detract you - with so few mults it is not very
hard to
work them all.

N5KO gave a talk to the NCCC some years after moving out to the west coast.
They wanted to know how to win SS since he has just won SS CW a number of years
in a row.

One of the questions asked was:

Q: How to make sure you get a sweep?

A: Call CQ for 24 hours.