Re: [CQ-Contest] A question of protocol

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A question of protocol
From: Ed <k4sb@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:04:29 +0000
Alan Zack wrote:
=========
> I have seen on a reflector where the actual owner of the callsign was
> asked if he was on the air and he replied no, his friends borrowed his
> callsign for the contest. Legal? I guess so.  Fair? Up to the beholder.
> I would think they would need to be physically present
------------
Legal? Absolutely. I personally checked this one with the ARRL, and
was
told ANY USA ham could give permission to any OTHER US licensed ham
ANYWHERE to use his callsign. And no, they do not to be physically
present.

So picture this: You have a buddy in Guam or Okinawa and N. Korea
comes on. Just give him permission to use your call and he makes the
QSO for you. An btw, the ARRL said any QSL from that QSO is
perfectly legal and may be submitted for DXCC credit.

In fact, for the case I inquired about, the "super station" worked
more
than 100 countries on all bands except 160. So there, take the wife to
dinner and collect your 5BDXCC.

Just another way to cheat, or "interpret" the rules in my opinion, but
that's the way it is, as has been amply demonstrated lately on this
reflector.

73
Ed