[CQ-Contest] Natural Progression [was: CK and stuff]

To: CQ-Contest eMail Remailer <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Natural Progression [was: CK and stuff]
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 04:15:47 -0800 (PST)
In the early days of personal computing, there were no issues with "buffer
overrun" exploits (loosly defined as 'sending data that the computer didn't
expect or "error trap" for') because everyone played nice.  We were all in it
"together".

Then, someone decided to see what else they could do if they purposefully
forced a "buffer overrun".  Sometimes, forcing such errors provided the
perpetrator with unintended access to the host system. After the first
exploitation, other people followed.  The result uncovered uncountable
"security holes" that required patching.

The same thing happens in all industries...and hobbies/competitions.

It appears that "the SS CK" issue is no different.  I seem to remember an HF
contest where you supply your name as a 'check'...where y'all get a kick out of
going on the air with the same name from time to time.  In both cases, while
this is not the intent...the sponsor says that doing so breaks nothing.  So
far, I haven't seen information to the contrary posted.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV