Re: [CQ-Contest] Wideband noise

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Wideband noise
From: "Clive Whelan" <clive.whelan@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 18:45:51 -0000
In my early days of SO2R about 8/9 years ago, I used a
rudimentary set up, no filters or stubs, and pretty close
antenna spacing ( don't try this at home kids!). I was using
an FT1000MP and a TS930s/PIEXX. The FT1000MP generated hash
even in key up with PTT operated, whereas the TS930S was
perfect. Only 100w was used at this juncture. These days I
would regard that as unacceptable, but back then, well I
just soldiered on.

I therefore got rid of the MP, and eventually got a pair of
TS870s. By this time both the QTH, and therefore the
antennas had changed ( but still no filters for a while),
but I never experienced wide band phase noise in key up
conditions with the Kenwoods, neither have I done so
latterly with the IC7400 (=746PRO [ but with much better PSU
filtering] in the U.S.), nor with the IC756PROIII, in fact I
would say from other ( dummy load in shack) tests,
categorically that they are quite clean.

So, some do and some don't, and you just have to find out
which are which ;-)

73

Clive
GW3NJW