Re: [CQ-Contest] intentional QRMing rare ones - SS SSB

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] intentional QRMing rare ones - SS SSB
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:07:01 -0500
Mark Beckwith wrote:
>>while attempting to work VY1MB on 20m on Sunday in SS SSB,
>>i had to work around another station who was 400 hertz down
>

> Steve, I can appreciate your frustration, but I suggest there may be some
> other points of view.
>
> You didn't say who was there first - I assume you probably tuned upon the
> scenario already in progress, and don't know who was there first.  It's
> possible the loud guy had been there for hours.  Especially since his rate
> was lower, meaning he had probably been working this SS for much longer than
> VY1MB was.

I agree with Mark. If the other station was there first, then the newly-arrived
rare mult doesn't necessarily get priority use of the frequency. This happened
to me numerous times in CQWW Phone. I would have a run going, then a DX station
would open up 1.5 kHz away, then a bunch of east coast guys would start yelling
at me for QRMing the DX !  Sorry guys, if I was clearly there first, and if the
DX station isn't bothering me, and I am productively using the frequency, I'm
not moving.

73,
Steve, N2IC