Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW defined "single op"

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW defined "single op"
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:05:46 -0000
From: <kr2q@optonline.net>

.
> Look under the definition of SINGLE OP.  It says, "Those
> stations at which one person performs all of the operating,
> logging, and spotting functions."
.
.
> This is not hard stuff.

Here's some hard stuff not covered by the rules.

1. My buddy calls on 10m to tell me the band is open
   to the Pacific - no spots, just general advice.  I
   turn the beam and, sure enough, pick up a few mults.
   That's single-op assisted in my book. Is it covered
   in the CQ definition?  I say "no", because I'm the
   only operator.  Others may say it is covered - but
   so long as there is wriggle room, some people will
   interpret the rules as they prefer - and with a
   clear conscience.

2. I check with a real-time scoreboard and see that
   other stations in my category are doing much better
   on 40m - so I do something about it.  Again, that's
   single-op assisted in my book, and it's not covered
   in the CQ definition.

3. I run some propagation software with the latest
   data accessed in real-time from the internet.  It
   tells me to expect a long-path opening, right now,
   to JA from my QTH.  Guess what - it's right!

That's why I proposed the term "external assistance"
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2006-November/071164.html
in an attempt to catch any practices not specifically
addressed under "operating, logging and spotting".

73,
Paul EI5DI