Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW defined "single op"

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW defined "single op"
From: Michael Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 12:03:56 -0500
On Nov 28, 2006, at 6:36 AM, kr2q@optonline.net wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Not sure why there are so many posts about "assisted."  It is in
> the rules.
>
> http://www.cqww.com/WW%20Rules%202006.pdf

> Look under the definition of SINGLE OP.  It says, "Those stations
> at which one person performs all of the operating, logging, and
> spotting functions."

We need that whole rule, Doug

1. Single Operator High: Those stations
at which one person performs all of the
operating, logging, and spotting functions.

 >>specifically this part<<

The use of DX alerting assistance of any
kind places the station in the Single
Operator Assisted category.

        As long as "any kind: is in there, you'll have people making silly
statements such as wondering about "who fixes the sandwiches"?

        It is a vague statement, and needs revised

        And what about say a 10 meter beacon? If that isn't DX alerting
assistance, what is?

        I think a very easy fix for this one just comes from noting just
what assisted means.

        We all *know* what it means. Now if it is just a matter of putting
it in more clear English, and stating it in a positive fashion, and
that eliminates 90 percent of the ambiguity, and will smack this
stupid discussion in the knees!

> If is not you (or whomever), then you are not single op.  It has
> nothing to do with "keyers" or antenna raising, or who cooks your
> meals, etc.

        Oh yes..

> Good advice (always, in all things): Read ALL the rules.

        Always good advice. But I'll point out that if a person has to go to
more than one place to figure out what is going on for one part of
the contest, the rules might need a little tweak. As an example, I
had to go to two different documents to get the ARRL's whole
definition of assisted.

> And for those in need:
> OPERATE
> 1. to work, perform, or function, as a machine does: This engine
> does not operate properly.
> 2. to work or use a machine, apparatus, or the like.
> 3. to act effectively; produce an effect; exert force or influence
> (often fol. by on or upon): Their propaganda is beginning to
> operate on the minds of the people.
> 4. to perform some process of work or treatment.
> 5. Surgery. to perform a surgical procedure.
> 6. (of a drug) to produce the effect intended.
> 7. Military. a. to carry on operations in war.
> b. to give orders and accomplish military acts, as distinguished
> from doing staff work.
>
> 8. to carry on transactions in securities, or some commodity, esp.
> speculatively or on a large scale.
> 9. Informal. to use devious means for one's own gain; insinuate
> oneself; finagle: a man who knows how to operate with the ladies.
> –verb (used with object) 10. to manage or use (a machine, device,
> etc.): to operate a switchboard.
> 11. to put or keep (a factory, industrial system, ranch, etc.)
> working or in operation: to operate a coal mine.
> 12. to bring about, effect, or produce, as by action or the
> exertion of force or influence.
>
> If the definition of HOT is >=100 degree C, then we do not need a
> separate definition of "not hot."
>
> "Not hot" must be <100 degrees C.

        Except in in the case of the definition of Assisted,  the CQ rules
actually have two parts of one rule. It is telling you what single
operated High is, then suddenly switches to single operated assisted.

> This is not hard stuff.

        Agreed!  One simple clarification can eliminate almost all the
argument.

Here is how I would rewrite this:

A. Single Operator Categories: Single
band or all band; only one signal allowed
at any one time; the operator may change
bands at any time.
        1. Single Operator High: Those stations
at which one person performs all of the
operating, logging, and spotting functions.
        2. Single Operator Low: Same as III A
1 except that the output power shall not
exceed 100 watts (see rule XI.11).
        3. Single operator assisted: Same as IIIA or IIIa.2
with the operator making use of spotting nets,
DX clusters, or packets. No self spotting allowed.
        4. QRPp: Same as III A 1, except that
the power output must not exceed 5 watts
(see rule XI.11).

        This has the benefit of defining a class - note that the original
rule lumped two classes together, and really had NO definition of
single operator assisted - it merely had the class as an exception to
the single operator High class

        The original rule has the DX spotting nets tacked on as "a B"
category. This eliminates the B and moves it into the A, where it
really belongs, because it really is one of the single operator
categories, not a separate category.

        This is all much more difficult to explain than it is to do. It
would be a nice little tweak of the rules, making them more
consistent within themselves,  and hopefully would eliminate some of
this silly brouhaha! 8^)

-73 de Mike KB3EIA -