Re: [CQ-Contest] Two callsign, two op, single station

To: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Two callsign, two op, single station
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:05:26 -0600
Hi all,
So I don't say this to contradict anything Ron's saying, because he's right,
there are contests which have rules prohibiting this practice.

My question is why?

Whose interests are protected by this prohibition?

It seems to me that if this is allowed, more people can be active at
different times of the contest. Since their efforts would clearly be
part-time, they pose no threat to the full-time ops. Two ops at one station
would provide each other with negligible score value, if any. Since each
operation would be unto itself, it's not like it's a back-door into the
multiop category.

This would only encourage more part-time efforts which would only mean MORE
stations for the full-time ops to work, particularly in any contest
afflicted by Sunday doldrums. Imagine if a hundred stations in SS suddenly
became fresh meat again by virtue of a new operation.

In thinking this through, the only rationale I could come up with for such a
prohibition is a fear that a station would set up a revolving door with a
hundred or so ops feeding QSOs to one or a handful of stations, club members
perhaps. But since contest rules only apply to those who submit to them by
entering a competitive log, and this station could easily do this and not
submit a log and therefore not be bound by this rule, I'm not sure the rule
holds much water. Particularly if each op worked enough club members to
avoid being flagged as a Unique.

I could suggest a few rules to make this happen:

1. Each operation must have a different operator and a different callsign.
2. Operations at one station may not work each other.
3. Each operation must make a minimum of 100 QSOs and must count at least 20
multipliers.
4. All equipment and antennas must be located on the station owner's
property.
5. Use of spotting is permitted only if all operations enter as assisted.

It seems to me to be a reasonable proposal at a time when more of us are
saying we don't have the time to do a full 48 but would love to play.

73, kelly
ve4xt