Re: [CQ-Contest] Two callsign, two op, single station

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Two callsign, two op, single station
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:00:10 -0500
VE4XT says:

"So I don't say this to contradict anything Ron's saying, because he's right,
there are contests which have rules prohibiting this practice.

"My question is why?

"Whose interests are protected by this prohibition?"

The intent is to prohibit "pass the mike" QSOs.  I believe that that language
was actually part of the ARRL rules when they introduced the rule.  You could
look it up.

Lest you think it's a non-problem, I was a Novice/Technician in my first
"contest", Field Day 1961.  The club (not PVRC, but not to be named), had a big
operation.  At the Cook Shack they had a VHFrig, something like a Gooney Box,
so that everybody who came by could work the club's FD operation.

Another story.  Before the rules were tightened, in the DX Tests some of the
Multi-op stations used to give a DX station a QSO from everybody at the
Multi-op station.  It was called "QTL -- send me the list of all the operators
at your station."  Sometimes it was done just to liven up a slow period,
sometimes to help a friend.  One slow time, in a phone Test, two guys at a MM
made a list of all the op's, plus a few others they knew were not otherwise
active.  They picked a loud Carribean Contest Expedition, and did a combination
pass-the-mike QTL -- the two guys at the MM alternately working their way down
the list, as the rate soared to about 10 QSOs/minute.  At one point the DX op
asked "Are they really all there?"  Somewhere along the line, the two op's at
the MM started laughing, and another station actually squeezed in a QSO during
the QTL.

Of course, I have no idea who the operators were, or who the DX was, or what MM
was involved.  Besides, it was at least 25 years ago.

It sounds like it was fun, but I think we don't want it to be legal.

73, Art K3KU