Re: [CQ-Contest] The Value of Spotting Networks

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Value of Spotting Networks
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:38:55 -0000
Thanks Art,

I am fairly comfortable with logging software but one thing I never do is
assume the cluster is correct. If you're just jumping from spot to spot and
relying on others to provide all the info, you must have a pretty high UBN
rate. It also takes the fun out of tuning for that weak rare one.

In the contests where I use the cluster, it's for a specific purpose and I
always verify the callsign myself first. A lot of the time I'm just trying
to get new countries and other counters. If all that gets spotted in a
DXcontest is domestic spots, that's no good either. And, quite frankly, as
one responder pointed out, not all the good stuff gets spotted.

No, I've resolved to wean myself off the cluster and go it alone in major
contests. I did better this past weekend without it than I did last year
with it; granted I have an amp and a better antenna system now.

73 -- Paul VO1HE